Partnership to turn 4,000 women in Ghana, others into mobile money entrepreneurs
Operators of Tigo, Millicom International Cellular together with the US Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Cherie Blair Foundation for Women have formed a public-private partnership to help women in Ghana, Tanzania and Rwanda.
The partnership is to foster women’s entrepreneurship in these countries which are said to have the fast growing African mobile financial services industry.
“This public-private partnership will provide over 4,000 women throughout Tanzania, Ghana and Rwanda with support and training to set up a business as a Tigo Mobile Money agent, contributing to financial inclusion for themselves and thousands of other people,” the three said in a joint statement issued December 18, 2012.
The partnership is for a period of 18 months and “the women involved will have access to 12-month working capital loans for their mobile money businesses distributed through Millicom’s mobile financial services platform.”
The women will also benefit from business skills training on financial literacy which will be an important component of the training curriculum, according to officials.
They hoped that having more women agents will increase the number of women who benefit from mobile services.
The statement quoted USAID Chief Innovation Officer, Maura O’Neill, as saying “The components of this partnership are ground-breaking, and we are excited to watch them unfold for the benefit of women and their families in Tanzania, Rwanda and Ghana.”
“Women entrepreneurs stand to gain a great deal from selling mobile money products. Setting up mobile sales provides additional household income and the opportunity for these women to be financially independent,” said Cherie Blair.
Adding his comment, Hans-Holger Albrecht, President and CEO for Millicom said the initiative will deliver financial literacy and business development training for the women entrepreneurs to support them in managing their mobile money agent business.
By Ekow Quandzie
- Global mobile financial services technology provider.
- A complete mobile money solution for mobile money providers in emerging markets.
- Serves both mobile and e-payment needs in the Nigerian market place.
- splash is Sierra Leoneís first mobile payment system.
- Teasy is an innovative Nigerian based mobile payment company
- EASY, INSTANT and CONVENIENT way of sending cash at ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, to ANYONE on ANY NETWORK
- Stanbic MobileMoney Agent at Shoprite
- Stanbic MobileMoney Stand at Shoprite
- Visit to Management of Comviva,India
- Agency field work with FortisMM, Ibadan
- Agency activities with FortisMobile,Ibadan
- EazyMoney Agent training, Lagos state
- EazyMoney Agent training, Oyo State.
- EazyMoney Agency Training, Edo State
- EazyMoney Agent Training
- Group visit to Tigocash,Ghana
- TigoCash Agent branding stand, Accra
- TigoCash Agent outlet, Accra
- Tariff Table, TigoCash Ghana.
- Field work in Enugu State.
- Agent in Enugu State.
- Agency Field work in East of Nigeria.
- Merchant ID
- Splash MobileMoney Call Center Team
- Agent group Training, Lagos
- Agent group training, Lagos
- Splash MobileMoney, Sierra Leone
- Visit to Splash MobileMoney, Sierra Leone.