Kenya Approves Fee For Mobile Money Transfers
ITNEWS AFRICA Kenya’s government announced it was ready to implement a new fee on all mobile money transfers in the country in an effort to ”even the playing field” for all telecom operators in the country.
Kenya’s government announced it was ready to implement a new fee on all mobile money transfers in the country in an effort to ”even the playing field” for all telecom operators in the country.
The move has not been well received by analysts and observers, who question whether the costs would drive up charges for users and lead to a decrease in use of mobile money in the East African country.
Finance Minister Njeru Githae said that “a minimum charge per transaction would be introduced soon, so that companies offering money services free also have to pay tax, like Safaricom, Airtel and Yu.”
Those companies are currently offering mobile money free of charge on their platforms, which Githae argued frees them from the obligation of having to pay the ten percent tax introduced.
He said the goal is to even the market for greater competition, which the ministry argued would drive down costs.
Githae said “Safaricom has decided to absorb the tax for small transactions of less than KES 100, putting it in an uncompetitive position with the rest.”
He continued that “the concern is about those offering free services as there is always a cost associated with transferring money.”
Githae, however, backtracked on an earlier directive that the companies should “not pass on the cost to consumers, saying the government had expected providers would absorb the cost, but that it is a free market and the government does not want to interfere.”
- Global mobile financial services technology provider.
- A complete mobile money solution for mobile money providers in emerging markets.
- Serves both mobile and e-payment needs in the Nigerian market place.
- splash is Sierra Leoneís first mobile payment system.
- Teasy is an innovative Nigerian based mobile payment company
- EASY, INSTANT and CONVENIENT way of sending cash at ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, to ANYONE on ANY NETWORK
- Stanbic MobileMoney Agent at Shoprite
- Stanbic MobileMoney Stand at Shoprite
- Visit to Management of Comviva,India
- Agency field work with FortisMM, Ibadan
- Agency activities with FortisMobile,Ibadan
- EazyMoney Agent training, Lagos state
- EazyMoney Agent training, Oyo State.
- EazyMoney Agency Training, Edo State
- EazyMoney Agent Training
- Group visit to Tigocash,Ghana
- TigoCash Agent branding stand, Accra
- TigoCash Agent outlet, Accra
- Tariff Table, TigoCash Ghana.
- Field work in Enugu State.
- Agent in Enugu State.
- Agency Field work in East of Nigeria.
- Merchant ID
- Splash MobileMoney Call Center Team
- Agent group Training, Lagos
- Agent group training, Lagos
- Splash MobileMoney, Sierra Leone
- Visit to Splash MobileMoney, Sierra Leone.